The New Bell Tower

The New Bell Tower

The Friends of St Giles was launched in December 2007 with the aim of seeking support from the wider community for the repair, maintenance, restoration, preservation and improvement of this historical little church tucked away in a park on the bank of the River Adur about half a mile from the nearest public road.

The Friends have attracted the close support of an enthusiastic number of people keenly interested in the historical side of the church compared to the pastoral side. They have run a number of large events, not least 4 country fayres and, in 2015, a 1940s Revival Night with music from the Swingshift  Big Band, and have raised the funds to relay the Horsham stone roof and new bell tower in 2011, the rewiring and installation of LED lighting in 2013 and the renovation of the internal walls in 2015.  Future events will be advertised in the parish magazine, around the villages and on this website.

The Friends also lead the regular cleaning of the church and the maintenance of the churchyard.

The principle aim of the Friends is to ensure that the church, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, is maintained in a good state to ensure it is passed on to future generations.

Membership of the Friends is open to all. The Annual Subscription is £10.00 for individuals and £15.00 for joint membership. Membership forms etc can be obtained from:

Richard Putnam

Tel: 01273 4931564

e-mail – richardputnam@btinternet.com

Why join the Friends of St Giles?

  • To assist in raising funds for the fabric of St Giles and help to create and maintain awareness and local knowledge of this historical little church.
  • Opportunity to join with like-minded people and enjoy new friendships and activity. Above all, have fun!

IMG_0218